Friday, 18 September 2015

Duck's Inn - An East Lothian Gem

I've always loved East Lothian, so any excuse for a sunset drive along the Gullane Coast to try out a restaurant with a brilliant reputation, and I don't take much persuasion.

The restaurant in question was award-winning Duck's Inn in Aberlady, owned by Malcolm Duck. 




I received a very warm welcome as I found my way through the cosy lounges to Donald's Bistro, where I was shown to a lovely candlelit table for two to await my dining companion for the evening, Katie.  

The owner Malcolm, an extremely pleasant gentleman, came to say hello and tell us about the two menus on offer that evening from Head Chef Michal Mozdzen.  There was the a la carte menu, which we went for, and the fixed price (which comes in at a very reasonable £18.50 for 3 courses).  I always think it's such a nice touch when the owner makes an effort to say hello, and he went round every single table that evening, not just ours.  Before I'd eaten a thing, I'd fallen in love with the place.


We were both so looking forward to having a good old natter over delicious food, and that's exactly what we did. Sadly, being pregnant I couldn't enjoy any of beautiful wines on offer though....next time!

So, here what I went for:

Starter: Smoked Salmon, beetroot, herb, Katy Rodgers Crème Fraiche (£9.50)

It was heavenly!  A really generous portion size with beautiful smoked salmon and the creme fraiche went perfectly with it.  It was nice to have a mix of the two types of beetroot too.  Delicious!  I was excited for main course...



Main Course: Glazed Short Rib of Tweed Valley Beef, mash potato, caramelised shallots, pickled mustard seeds, red wine jus (£24.50)

I have to apologise for my poor photography, which does not do the food justice at all.  My main course was amazing - the tender beef came away from bone so easily and melted in the mouth.  It was cooked to perfection.  We ordered a side of green beans and salad too which went nicely with the dish.  


Dessert: Valrhona Chocolate Marquise with blackberries, honeycomb (£8.50)

Absolutely stuffed, I wasn't going to have a dessert but when faced with this on the menu, I couldn't say no.  It was rich and creamy and the sorbet on top (which I think was blackberry) went perfectly.  I have to admit I couldn't finish it...sadly.  


Katie opted for the Charred Port Seton Mackerel, pickled cucumber, fennel, dill vinaigrette (£7.50) followed by the rib eye steak.  





For dessert, Katie went for the Caramel Parfait, apple, toffee walnut from the Fixed Price Menu. 


As if we hadn't had enough to eat - the petit fours we received with coffee were a dessert in themselves, and as delicious as everything else we ate that evening!

A huge thumbs up from me for Duck's and I cannot wait to return. I have been raving about it to anyone who will listen!

Duck's Inn
Main Street
Aberlady 
EH32 0RE



No comments:

Post a Comment